Go Back   RGN - Reliable Global News > RGN History Center > World War 1

World War 1 "The war to end all wars"

The Great War - WW1
Old 10-28-2007
V.I.P.

Harvey is on a distinguished road
Post The Great War - WW1

I stumbled across this website the other day. It has some interesting colour photographs from the Great War. There are quite a few galleries and it's really great to see so many photos from World War I.

http://www.worldwaronecolorphotos.com/

http://teleobjetivo.monteagudo.net/a...uerra-mundial/

Also I'm not sure if people know about the promotion the Daily Mail newspaper is running giving away the TV Documentary 'The Great War' on DVD all 26 Episodes.

I collected 'The World at War' from their last promotion The whole set costing me £5.

Although I'm not a Daily Mail reader I love their promotions

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1777

Re: World War I: Colour Photographs from the Great War
Old 10-29-2007
V.I.P.

OneShot is a glorious beacon of lightOneShot is a glorious beacon of lightOneShot is a glorious beacon of lightOneShot is a glorious beacon of lightOneShot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: World War I: Colour Photographs from the Great War

Very nice find Harvey, some very rare color shots! Thanks a bunch for the link.

Old 10-29-2007
Lieutenant General (Moderator)

[3rdArmy]CW-4 is a truly talented, fearless leader

It is a nice find. I didn't realize that there were that many color WWI pics out there.

"We've made many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space
and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line
must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"

~ Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D).

Old 10-29-2007
V.I.P.

OneShot is a glorious beacon of lightOneShot is a glorious beacon of lightOneShot is a glorious beacon of lightOneShot is a glorious beacon of lightOneShot is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by [3rdArmy]CW-4 View Post
It is a nice find. I didn't realize that there were that many color WWI pics out there.
Neither did I CW-4. From what I have been hearing lately there are many, many color pictures and videos from most wars, just they still have yet to be "declassified" for public viewing!

Old 10-29-2007
Heinz

I did not even think there was color photography at that time. hmmm. are you sure they are just not re-touched photos?

Old 10-29-2007
Lieutenant General (Moderator)

[3rdArmy]CW-4 is a truly talented, fearless leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
I did not even think there was color photography at that time. hmmm. are you sure they are just not re-touched photos?
The Autochrome Lumière is an early color photography process. Patented in 1903 by the Lumière brothers in France and first marketed in 1907, it remained the principal color photography process available, until it was superseded by the advent of color film during the mid-1930s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autochrome_Lumi%C3%A8re

"We've made many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space
and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line
must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"

~ Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D).

WW1
Old 11-06-2009
PFC

Wang Snee Wang is on a distinguished road
Default WW1

Interesting project starting up, in preparation of the remembrance of 100 year wo1 at 2014.
Quote:
At the end of 1915 the Belgian government understood that photography could be an important element in waging a war of propaganda. The true to life images indeed were to persuade the United States to join the combat and help the trodden upon ‘Little Belgium’.
great pics

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...4_INTRO_photos

The Great War
Old 07-27-2010
Private (Recruit)

eagle214 is on a distinguished road
Post The Great War

I've come to read a few of the WW2 forums and I have to admit, Y'all know your stuff when it comes to combat during the second great war and It's great to find real information from real people who know them. This gaming group has covered many corners of the Second World War, but what of The war that was to end all wars, WW1?

My name is Jack and I just joined RGN on Mike_Nomad's request for what I know on history and political theoretics. I've been pounded in school and amazed in individual studies of European history, especially the years 1350-present day. But I want to venture into four key years in European history, four years that many of your fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers have lived, bled and told stories of, 4 key years that many major game publishers seem to skip.

These years are 1914-1918, 4 bloody years the brought the United States out of isolation and into fame, 3 years that shattered Russia and caused the Bolsheviks to come to power, 4 years that destroyed Germany leaving a fatal wound until Nazism, 4 years that brought the fall of New Imperialism and 4 years the brought the entire world to It's knees.

With what I know I want to start off my reputation in this great gaming community to talk about the Great War, to share with y'all my knowledge in hopes that I may be enlightened to facts I've never heard of. I intend to have 3 major threads: Pre-War Europe Aimed at describing European thought and tension from 1850 leading up to the powder keg of the Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, The Great War itself aimed at telling stories of heroes, major battles and weapons and finishing it off with Post War effects such as the treaty of Versailles and the Wiemar Republic's effect on Germany's society and economy that would eventually lead to WW2.

With my knowledge and the knowledge of other Great War savvy members, we can make this discussion a truly enlightening experience for others, to learn about a truly impacting transition from line infantry and muskets to trench warfare and machine guns in Combat history. Glad I can put my knowledge to use and hope to get to know more of you in the process

Old 07-27-2010
Site Owner - Administrator

RFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to behold

First and foremost;

Correct Terminology

The First World War, 1914 - 1918 = WW1, World War One, The Great War.

The Second World War
, 1939 - 1945 = WW2, World War Two.

WW1 was termed "the war to end all wars".

To begin...

A brief synopsis of WW1;

World War I was a military conflict centered in western/central Europe that began in the summer of 1914. The fighting ended in late 1918.
This conflict involved most of the world's great powers, assembled in two opposing alliances: the Allies (centered around the Triple Entente) and the Central Powers. More than 70 million military personnel, including 60 million Europeans, were mobilized in one of the largest wars in history. More than 15 million people were killed, making it one of the deadliest conflicts in history.
The war is also known as the First World War, the Great War, the World War (prior to World War II), and of course, the popularized name, The War to End All Wars.

The assassination on June 28, 1914 of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary, is seen as the immediate trigger of the war. Long-term smoldering causes, such as imperialistic foreign policies of the great Imperial Powers of Europe, France, and Italy played major roles.

The assassination of Franz Ferdinand, by Yugoslav nationalist Gavrilo Princip, resulted in the Hapsburg Ultimatum against the Kingdom of Serbia. Several European alliances were invoked as a result, the major powers were at war within a very short time. Additionally, as most combatants possessed worldwide colonies, the conflict ultimately engulfed the world.
By the war's end, the four major Imperial Powers; the German, Russian, Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires had been militarily and politically defeated. The Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires ceased to exist. The Soviet Union emerged from Czarist Imperial Russia via the revolution. The entire map of central Europe was completely redrawn into numerous smaller states. The League of Nations was formed in the hope of preventing another such conflict.
The Treaty of Versailles, combined with fervent European Nationalism spawned by the war left festering wounds across Europe. The hurtful terms of the treaty and disgrace of Germany's defeat would lead to the formal beginning of World War II in 1939 with Germany invading Poland.

Regards,

German Empire
Old 07-29-2010
Private (Recruit)

Default German Empire

Fantastic summary and introduction to WW1 Mike, much appreciated.

Although the environment of Late 19th century Europe is key to the beginnings of WW1, which is described as la Belle Epoque, I'd like to go in depth of the national situations of WW1's major players. The atmosphere will be what ties them together into the Central and Alliance powers.

What better than to begin with the newly created German Empire:

Old 07-29-2010
Private (Recruit)

(Button Screw up)

The German Empire, also known as the German Confederacy or Germania, was officially formed in 1871 with decisive action of their Iron Fisted Chancellor you all know and love as Bismarck. However, before this time since the Holy Roman Empire's influence on Religion in the 15th and 16th century, Germans have never once tasted unification due to German Dualism

German Dualism:

Since the Treaty of Westphalia in 1684 at the conclusion of the 30 years war (a major religious conflict that can be roughly stated as Catholics vs. Protestants) there have been 2 major German states: Austria (Catholic being as it was run by Habsburgs, the Holy Roman family) and Prussia (Protestant as it was established in the north of central Europe). These two powers would forevor check each other for conquest of smaller German states. However a failure in a Liberal Frankfurt Revolution in 1848 (known as the year of revolutions) to unite German speaking people opened a new door to unification, even when faced with the humiliation of Olmutz in 1850 ( a treaty that would halt German unification on the political agenda in Prussia).

Prussia In Shambles:

Since Prussia's failures against Napoleon, their Military centered State had diminished since the times of Federick the Great in the mid 18th century. Not only this, but their king was downright insane. In 1861, he would be booted out by William 1st, or Will 1 because German king names have a history of unoriginality and get confusing. However Will 1 would bring back the spirit of a military Prussia with the institution of the Needle Gun: A Breachloading Bolt action rifle developed in 1851 (if I'm correct), conscription, and a General Staff. However Prussia faced much graver problems than a military. A growing Liberal middle class proved detrimental to the 3 Teir voting system in the German constitutionally granted Reichstag (lower parliament) which favored the upper classmen AKA Junkers. This would create internal conflict between Parliament in King and 0 much needed reforms were passed. This is similiar to France's situation Pre-Revolution in 1789 (which the Liberal's didnt do so well in showing history it was the right idea). Bismarck would show promise at this point, pointing German away from France's mistake.

Bismarck:

1862 Otto Von Bismarck is put into Chancellor postion by Will 1. Although he did not play a direct role in the War itself, his creation of the most powerful European state is a key factor to what made WW1 as destructive as we know it.

He was an aristocrat romantic turned conservative that stood out from the "pompous" stereotype that was the Junker lifestyle. He is credited with first eliminating the Liberal base of power by claiming it unconstitutional and unhelpful altogether, wrapping it up with "collecting taxes anyway".

He would go through 3 key wars in uniting German speaking people against Denmark, Austria and France, each making them look like aggressors and keeping them isolated. Bismarck would help Russia first in 1863 by aiding in the crushing of the Polish revolt, establishing good looks by the Russians. With this he would go to war with Denmark in a joint attack with Austria for the German speaking lands of Schleswig and Holstein, which were annexed illegally by Denmark. This Danish war was Easily won, splitting the German lands in two for Austria and Prussia but, like any dual ownership, dispute festered.

Austria was isolated in that Russia favored Prussia for it's assistance, Italy (with it's own unification issues) wanted Venetia from Austria and France under Napoleon 3 (Nap 3) was bought off with false promises of expansionism (the irony will show itself soon). Knowing this, Bismarck went to war in 1866 with Austria in the 6 week war. Prussia's superior railroads, organization and the new needle gun won the war gaining the northern German lands leading to the creation of the North German Confederacy.

The final conflict was with France. In 1870 the Spanish throne became empty and was offered to the Hohenzollern family (the Monarchal family that Will 1 belongs to) which Nap 3 took offence too. He refused to be boxed in by the Germans (catholic Germanic states had allied with Prussia under the ruse of war with France provoked by Bismarck). Despite Bismarck pressing Will 1's cousin to take the throne, Will 1 withdrew and Nap 3 wanted an apology (clearly an overstep). Will 1 would write the famous Ems telegram apologizing to France, however Bismarck would alter the message, making it offending to Nap 3 which would cause France to go to war with Prussia placing the name of aggressor upon France and leaving it Isolated, causing the Franco-Prussian war to arise. Nap 3 would be captured at Sedan costing France 5-Billion francs and German speaking Alsace-Lorraine (land that has been in conflict between Germanic states and would create extreme tensions between France and Germany until WW1). With this land, German lands were united into the German Empire as Will1 as Kaiser in January of 1871.

This state would severly upset the economic and military balance of power in Europe, ensuing a type of German glorification that paved the road for Nazism.

Pre-War Germany

In 1873, Bismarck had devised a system of alliances that would cause every country to fall directly in place when Austria went to war with Serbia. At first Bismarck proposed an alliance between Germany, Russia and Austria called the Three Emperors' League which proved to fail 6 years later when Russia dropped out due to building tensions between Austria and Russia. Bismarck would then design a mutual alliance with Austria in the Austro-German Alliance in 1879 and in 1882 added Italy in the Triple Alliance. In 1887 Russia and Germany signed ther own Reinsurance Treaty. With careful politics involving Britain and France, no super power could gain support on each other in Bismarck's alliance system.

However in 1890, Bismarck was removed from office by the Kaiser Wilhem 2nd (Will 2 in power 1888) along with his alliance system (except the Reinsurance,Tsar Nick and Will were cousins) which would lead to Germany's encirclement. Will 2 had plans of making a navy equal to better of that of the British after the 1890's. This would cause naval scares in Morocco between Germany and Britain, such tensions will show later when Germany violates Belgian Nuetrality. Russia would ally with France in 1894 (which would lead to Germany's Schlieffen Plan: a plan which contained maps, railroad timetables and troop movement plans to fight Russia and France on both fronts at the same time. It would lead to Germany's invasion of Belgium's nuetrality which brought Britain into the war against Germany), which is joined by Britain after the Entente Cordial (friendly undertsanding between France and England) and the Anglo-Russian Entente.

The Triple Alliance and Triple Entente's differences would soon drive Europe into war, between Russia and Austria mainly. With Austria's Ultimatum, Germany would supply a Blank Check to Austria (since the German economy dwarfed it's neighbor's economies) to settle it's Serbian issues and cause WW1.

I can go into detail about any topic upon request and eager to see what anyone can add, I'm just a catalyst.

I'll move onto Italy next.

Photos of the great war
Old 10-20-2010
Brigadier General

zeroy is infamous around these partszeroy is infamous around these partszeroy is infamous around these partszeroy is infamous around these partszeroy is infamous around these parts
Default Photos of the great war

It was supposed to be the war to end all war.

Re: Photos of the great war
Old 10-20-2010
V.I.P.

Default Re: Photos of the great war

Color photos seem to make it seem more " real " for me. Thanks for the post/link zeroy

Old 10-20-2010
V.I.P.

dundy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot View Post
Color photos seem to make it seem more " real " for me. Thanks for the post/link zeroy
That is true makes it more come alive

Is this a hint for a new mod Zeroy

Old 10-21-2010
Private (Recruit)

Gerry is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing.

I agree, it gives a better indication of the time.